Why Clear Whey Protein Isolate Is A Superior Protein
By Nutritionist, Hannah Norris
What is Clear Whey Protein Isolate?
Upbeat uses Clear Whey Protein Isolate, a form of whey protein. Whey protein is an optimal and high-quality protein source providing you with all essential amino acids. Amino acids are the building blocks of protein, which is required in all cells in the body, including hair, nails, bones, and muscles.
Firstly, let’s be clear (excuse the pun) on what whey protein is… Whey makes up 20% of the protein derived from milk, casein makes up the other 80%. Whey protein is then processed in a way to filter and remove lactose, carbohydrates, and fats to produce clear whey protein isolate.
Benefits of Clear Whey Protein Isolate:
Protein is most known for its use in weight training and building muscles. Adding protein during or after an intensive bout of endurance exercise may suppress myofibrillar damage, reduce feelings of muscle soreness and increase muscle recovery. However, not everyone wants to chug a creamy, heavy protein shake or eat a chicken breast during or immediately after exercise, hence using clear whey isolate, which due to the filtration process enables it to have a less creamy texture.
A reason whey is considered high quality is due to its high digestibility, which essentially refers to how well the body can digest, absorb and get access to the nutrients (protein in this instance). Studies show that whey isolate in particular, has one of the highest digestibility scores compared to other animal and plant-based proteins. Being quickly and easily digested in the gut means more of the amino acids being absorbed as a result, and consequently reaching the blood stream and muscles for a speedier recovery and an increase in muscle protein synthesis.
Superior Protein With A Complete Amino Acid Profile
Unlike some protein sources for example beans, legumes, nuts, vegetables, hemp, pea, rice and collagen, whey protein is a ‘complete’ protein source. While it is possible to combine proteins to get a full amino acid profile (i.e. a complete protein source), this then becomes harder to digest and requires more preparation and often not easy to consume on the go; but without all amino acids present, we do not get the same benefits for our muscles.
Whey is, however, a complete and therefore superior protein as it provides all amino acids including essential amino acids (that our body can’t make by itself and needs to be ingested) and the much talked about branch chain amino acids aka BCAAs.
Muscle Recovery, Repair & Growth
All BCAAs are important but one BCAA in particular, leucine, is critical for muscle recovery, repair & growth. Research shows whey improves muscle recovery, repair & growth 50% more than BCAA alone and studies also show that rapidly digested protein (such as whey isolate) that contains high proportions of essential amino acids and adequate leucine (such as whey isolate) are the most effective in stimulating muscle protein synthesis. Because of this whey is a superior protein source for promoting muscle gain and high-quality weight loss compared to the likes of soy and casein.
Insulin and Glucose Regulation
Finally, there is also evidence to suggest that whey protein does not inhibit hydration and may also improve insulin and glucose regulation which are also important factors.
So, with whey protein isolate being a complete protein with a high proportion of essential amino acids, with high digestibility, being essentially lactose free and the other added benefits discussed, that’s why we use clear whey protein isolate.