Firstly, you are not the only one. Everyone experiences a bit of “gym anxiety” when they first start out or are trying out a new program.
The main reasons we feel nervous in the gym is because we think that everyone is watching us… when in reality – they are so focused on themselves and their workout that they may not even notice you.
Here are a few tips to make your experience in the gym a bit less daunting:
- Educate yourself.Get to know your gym by taking a tour around it so that you know where everything is (such as the lockers, bathroom, free weight section, water fountains, etc).
- Go to the gym with a plan.Have your workout typed out on your phone so that you have a “game plan”.
- Put together a bomb playlist. Put all your favourite songs into a playlist. This will help motivate you to stay focused on your workout instead of becoming distracted by your surroundings.
- Go with a friend or get an instructor. Go with a friend that feels comfortable in the gym so that they can show you how to adjust and use all the machines. It would also be a good idea to get an instructor or personal trainer for your first few sessions so that they can help correct your form and give you tips
- Find the right time to exercise. You could be a person who enjoys training in off peak hours when the gym is quiet. However, it might be a good idea to go during some peak hours so that you can watch how others use machines - it may give you confidence to use machines that you were unsure of (or may give you new workout ideas).
- Have confidence. Pretend that you know what you are doing – it will attract less attention to you. Fake it till you make it 😉
After a few sessions you will be like “why was I even anxious in the first place?” ...
Remember that we all start somewhere and that the only person you need to try being better than is the person that you were yesterday!